Umar Zekeri Bamaiyi, the governorship candidate of All Blending Party (ABP), has sued the electoral umpire for exclusion of his name from INEC final list which was released in October.
Recall that Bamaiyi and Motunrayo Campaign Organisation BAMCO has protested to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) against the exclusion of its governorship candidate fielded for the November 16 election in Kogi State.
Director General of the campaign organisation of the party, Ugbede Iduh, who led other party members on a peaceful protest to INEC’s headquarters in Lokoja last month 11th October, 2019 said they were surprised that the commission excluded the name of their candidate from the final list released.
Addressing the protesters, INEC’s National Commissioner in charge of Kogi, Nasarawa and Kwara states, Mohammed Haruna, said the party’s candidate was not listed by the commission because he was underage.
He explained that the party’s nomination was invalid on the ground that the governorship candidate submitted to INEC was 33-years-old as against 35 years stipulated by the constitution.
Bamaiyi whose date of birth is 1st January, 1982 wondered how INEC arrived at the 33 years that was used to disqualified him, stressing that he’s 37 years of age and not 33 years.
“I want INEC to tell the Nigerians and the whole world how they arrived at the 33 years that was used to disqualified me from contesting the governorship election.
“This is a purely breach of right ànd must not be tolerated in any form. I have evidence and a video tape where the INEC national commissioner in charge of Nasarawa, Kwara and Kogi states, Muhammed Haruna said the commission disqualified me because I’m 33 years.
“It’s base on this fact that I Sued INEC for total nullification of the election to enable INEC include my name on their list so that I can contest for the election, as well as demanding for compensation of N1.5B for negligence, incompetency and breach of right.
“Anything short of this won’t be accepted. I’m confident of winning the case”, Bamaiyi said.
Already, the federal high court in Lokoja has fixed November 28th, 2019 for the 3rd hearing of the case, suit no. FHCLKJCS1332019.