Policemen ‘Threaten to Kill Journalist’ at Kogi Govt House

Spread the love

Some policemen attached to the Kogi state government house allegedly threatened to kill Wale Odunsi, deputy editor of Daily Post, an online platform, on Wednesday.

Odunsi had travelled to Kogi for a social media summit organised by the state government.

According to Odunsi, trouble started after he arrived at the government house for a meeting with Yahaya Bello, governor of the state.

He said while tracing his way to the banquet hall, venue of the meeting, an argument ensued with a policeman identified as Iliya Ali.

Odunsi said after descending on him alongside his colleagues, Ali threatened to shoot him to death.

“I left the hotel I was before 11am. Earlier, I had called special assistant to the governor on new media, Joel Odaudu that I was on my way to the government house,” Odunsi said in a statement.

“I got there and walked towards the gate. As I approached the gate directly opposite the entrance of the governor’s wife office entrance, one of the protocol officials dressed in mufti charged at me.

“In an unruly manner, he queried why I was trying to barge into the premises. So I asked ‘Oga, you didn’t have to shout at me like that. I was only looking for who to ask for direction’.

“Apparently infuriated by my guts, he dragged and pushed me away. Within seconds, a mobile policeman got up and slapped me. He used abusive words and warned me to move away. But I kept asking what I did to warrant the treatment.

“At this point, the protocol officer and two mobile policemen were taking turns to hit me on the chest while pushing me backwards; one slapped me the second time.”

Odunsi, who said he escaped through divine intervention, claimed that the operatives tried to twist the situation when the goveror’s aide arrived.

He also vowed to seek legal redress.

“I walked away and called Joel, the governor’s aide. As soon as he came, the security officials cornered him and were trying to change the story,” he said.

“I hurriedly strolled to where they were and insisted to know why I was assaulted. By this time, one of the policemen, I believe a superior officer and another man wearing a blue safari suit and white T-shirt warned me to leave the area or face the consequences.

“The policeman’s eyes were red as if thirsty for blood. He kept screaming that he will punish with me mercilessly. So I called his name out, Iliya Ali: I told him to his face that I will report the incident to appropriate authorities.

“Once he heard his name, he attempted to bring out his gun. He said I have eyes to see his name and mouth to mention his name so he will shut me up.

“He also asked the governor’s aide to leave the scene so he could deal with me. All the while, he was trying to bring out his gun while the governor’s aide calmed him.

“I sensed he might make real his threat so I left the scene because only a fool will continue to argue with a man with firearm. I spoke to the Force spokesman, Jimoh Moshood, who sent Kogi CP’s number. I tried to reach him but couldn’t and sent sms. No response from him as I speak.

“I have left the state before my time is cut short.”

As of the time this report was filed, spokesmen of the governor could not be reached for comments.

The telephone line of Gbenga Olorunpomi, senior special assistant to the governor on electronic media, rang out, while Kingsley Fanwo, spokesman of the governor, did not reply a text message sent.

In August, Segun Salami, a Channels Television reporter, landed in the hospital, after an assault by security operatives attached to the government house.

Credit: TheCable

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *