Abaji-Koton-Karfe Road: Residents Want Quick Completion of Project

333
Spread the love

Some residents of Koton-Karfe in Kogi Local Government Area of Kogi have called for increased pace of work for quick completion of the expansion work on Abaji-Koton-karfe highway.

 

The residents made the call on Thursday when the Minister of State II for Power Works and Housing, Mr Suleiman Zarma, in company with ministry officials inspected work on some federal highway projects in Kogi.

 

Work on the 49.40km road, a major artery to the Federal Capital Territory, is being handled by Bulletine Construction Company Ltd. and 54 per cent of the job has been executed, according to officials.

 

The residents said in interviews with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that they were not happy with the slow pace of work on the project.

 

Mr Shuibu Abu, a resident of the community, noted that for many years, no serious work had been carried out on the project and as such the people were unhappy.

 

“I feel that this project has been abandoned due lack of seriousness in its execution. The government should quicken the construction because it is long overdue.”

 

Another resident, who pleaded anonymity, said it was regrettable that the project was becoming a nuisance for transporters, tourists and others.

 

The resident said the poor state of the road had contributed to many accidents and called on the government to revoke the contract or release funds for its completion.

 

Madam Amina Ozi, a fish seller, also complained about the slow pace of work and added that the work seemed to have been abandoned.

 

She, however, pleaded with the government to complete the job on time to reduce the pains of the people, especially during the rains.

 

But Mr Ephraim Tewolde the Site Manager of the Koton-Karfe-Lokoja Road Project, said the contract had not been abandoned.

 

“There is nothing like abandoning the project. From time to time, due to lack of funding, intermittent suspension is observed but it is not abandoned, the project will be completed in June 2019,’’ Tewolde said.

 

He said since the intervention of SUKUK fund work was progressing steadily and expressed the hope that after the passage of the budget more funds would be made available for the job.

 

Zarma and his team also inspected the work on Section IV of Abuja-Lokoja dual carriageway and Koton-Karfe-Lokoja being handled by Gitto Construction Company of which 61 per cent of the job had been executed.

 

He commended the Gitto Company for the job it had done and added that the ministry did not have any problem with the funding of the project because it was being funded by SUKUK Fund.

 

The minister, however, threatened to terminate the contract for Abaji-Koton-Karfe road due to the contractor’s negligence.

 

The inspection was part of an assessment tour of Federal Government roads and housing projects in the North-Central Zone by officials of the ministry.

 

 

(NAN)


Spread the love



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *