‘Disqualified Candidate Can’t be Flagbearer’: Kogi APC Group Faults Primary Result Declaration

19
Spread the love

Youth stakeholders and members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kogi Central have called on the party’s leadership to uphold due process and strictly adhere to constitutional guidelines following the House of Representatives primary for Okene/Ogori-Magongo Federal Constituency held on Saturday.

In a statement issued Tuesday in Lokoja, Comrade Jimoh Anderson and Comrade Abdullahi Abdul, speaking on behalf of the APC Youth Group and party members in Kogi Central, said the declaration of results by the state chapter contradicted an earlier directive from the APC National Working Committee (NWC).

According to results announced at the state level, Hon. Sanni Salau Ogembe polled 31,651 votes, Hon. Moses Omeiza Audu came second with 1,141 votes, and incumbent lawmaker, Hon. Ozigi Muhammed Tijani secured 349 votes.

The stakeholders congratulated all aspirants, delegates, and supporters for participating peacefully and demonstrating commitment to internal democracy.

However, the group raised concerns over the status of the declared winner.

They noted that Hon. Ogembe, along with several other aspirants nationwide, was officially listed as “Not Cleared” by the APC National Screening Committee ahead of the primaries.

“The major question currently being asked by party members and important stakeholders is: why should a disqualified aspirant be presented as the flag bearer of our party?” the statement read.

The stakeholders argued that votes recorded for a candidate declared “Not Cleared” remain subject to the final directives of the National Secretariat and the NWC.

They cited an earlier NWC instruction barring state National Assembly Primary Election Committees from independently announcing final results pending ratification by the National Secretariat.

“It is therefore deeply concerning that the Kogi State APC Secretariat proceeded to declare Hon. Ogembe as winner despite his disqualification status remaining unresolved,” the group said.

They added that as long as the authority that declared aspirants “Not Cleared” has not issued a contrary directive, the status quo ante remains, and the Kogi State chapter is expected to comply with the national leadership’s position.

Drawing parallels with similar cases in Ondo State and other federal constituencies, the group said the APC had previously upheld constitutional provisions by recognizing cleared aspirants who emerged next in line when disqualified winners stepped aside.

Such actions, they noted, helped preserve party unity and avoid legal battles that could jeopardize electoral victories.

The stakeholders warned that opposition parties are closely monitoring developments in Kogi State and could exploit unresolved irregularities through legal means if the matter is not addressed before the 2027 general election.

“In the interest of justice, fairness, due process, and party unity,” they called on both the Kogi State APC leadership and the National Secretariat to recognize Hon. Moses Omeiza Audu Troy, the highest-ranking cleared aspirant and second-placed candidate, as the valid flag bearer for Okene/Ogori-Magongo Federal Constituency, subject to constitutional procedures and final ratification.

“This is not merely a political argument; it is a call for due process, fairness, internal democracy, respect for the rule of law, and the protection of the democratic values upon which the All Progressives Congress was found do,” the statement concluded.


Spread the love